Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:




Cherished: 21 Writers on Animals They Have Loved and Lost

By Barbara Abercrombie
Publication date: April 1, 2011

and celebrate their memory? In Cherished: 21 Writers Celebrate Animals They’ve Loved and Lost, writers put into words the depth of grief felt after their animals’ deaths, the lessons learned from their lives, how these animals changed them, and the joy they left behind. These remarkable stories go far beyond conveying the heartbreaking loss that pet owners experience when their pet dies. With rare literary texture and insight, they convey how pets fit into the messiness of life and how life changes because of them. Each essay speaks to larger truths and insights about life itself. Our pets help us deal with the continual litany of changes that life dishes out. They see us through family deaths, career changes, divorces, financial ups and downs. But when they inevitably pass away, who can we turn to for solace except those with whom we share this common experience.

Cherished features remarkable writers and remarkable stories, three-quarters of them original to this collection. Novelist Samantha Dunn describes her driven cowgirl mother who finds ingenious ways for her daughter to keep Gabe, their pure white gelding, while living at lot #78 of the Enchanted Hills Mobile Home Park. Anne Lamott describes the powerful moment of community that forms as she and her son face the passing of their dog, Sadie. Memoirist May-lee Chai writes about growing up on a South Dakota farm and grappling with the inevitabilities of farm life as she becomes attached to the three pigs she reluctantly cares for. And with beautiful, cutting detail, poet Mark Doty describes the last days of his dog, Arden.

31 comments:

  1. Awwwh! sounds like a sad book. Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like a poignant series of tales...thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this book before, it seems really moving !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe this one sounds very sentimental. Great pick! I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain right now. Another dog book..

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...I have to add this one to my wish list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by! This looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It definitely seems like a sad/moving/emotional book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww!! I think this one might be too sad for me.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't read these sort of books, I wish I had a stronger heart. Mine gets way too mushy. I can't even watch those ASPCA commercials when they come on TV. Thanks for sharing though, and thanks for visiting my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a wonderful book! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials make me cry too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick. Sounds like it will be a tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww I love doggie books :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one may make me too sad. I'll be interested to see your review on it in the future.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds heart warming but also sad. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds very nice! I think I will read this with my dog next to me!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds like it would leave me sobbing. My cat growing up lived to be 23 years old and it was very hard when she passed away. Nice book choice.

    Heather from Bewitched Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww,this one might be too emotional for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, this one sounds like one you'll need to dig out the tissues for!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one sounds heartbreaking. I always cry whenever my pet dies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, sounds really sad. I love my cat! Would not know what to do if he should ever die! Anyway! I'm a new follower!

    Sonette @ bookaholic-worm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet cover. Sounds like you'll need some tissue handy when you read this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't think I could read this one. Bit too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a cute pup :) I don’t think this is one I could handle. I love my furry babies so much, and with my dog turning 13 soon this would be too hard. I hope you enjoy it though. Sounds like one that will make you cry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kaza and Christie

    Thanks! for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions.

    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

    My homepage ... weight loss
    my page > weight loss

    ReplyDelete