Monday, July 2, 2012

Mailbox Monday

In my mailbox this week is a young adult, historical fiction romance:

Back to Bataan
by Jerome Charyn

New York City, 1943. War is raging in Europe and the Pacific, while Jack Dalton is stuck attending Dutch Masters Day School. What Jack really wants is to enlist in the army, to fight...

Everything changes when Coco, Jack's "fiancee," throws him over for one of his classmates. Jack sees red and does something drastic. Then he runs away. Hiding out in a nearby park, Jack joins ranks with a group of vagrants and is soon under the sway of a man called the Leader, an ex-convict who is as articulate and charismatic as he is dangerous. The Leader turns Jack's world upside down. To put things right, Jack must prove himself a braver soldier than he ever imagined.



http://BackToBataan.blogspot.com



15 comments:

  1. I like books which are set in the forties, even if most often they have to do with war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason I've never been into early 20th century historical fiction...but this does sound like it has promise. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love YA historical fiction! Hope this one is as good as it sounds. Enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting and different take on the times of WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really intrigued by this era...thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Ann,

    This sounds like a war time story with a really unique twist and a plot that I have never come across the likes of before.

    Definitely worth looking into a little more, this holds real possibilities as something I might consider reading.

    I hope that you enjoy!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good one. The 40's really appeal to me too. Have a great week, happy reading and a fun 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this one, but the premise is interesting. I hope you have a great time reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the title and I'm going to admit to being intrigued by the concept as well. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. New to me - enjoy the book and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like historical fiction but this one is a new title for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bellezza- I do too!

    Melissa, Kay, Leslie- Thanks! for stopping by.

    Laura, Kayl, Ryan, Mystica- You too!

    Bermudaonion, Fiction-books -Thanks! for commenting.

    Alyce- It is!

    Laurel-Rain- Snow- I am too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have a great read on your hands

    ReplyDelete