Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday

My words today are from : The top most difficult SAT words.

1. Vituperate- To berate(v.)   (Jack ran away as soon as his father found out, knowing he would be vituperated for his unseemly behavior.

2. Upbraid- (v.) to criticize or scold severely. (The last thing Lindsay wanted was for Lisa to upbraid her again about the missing rent payment.

3. Salient- (adj.) significant, conspicuous (One of the salient differences between Alison & Nancy is that Alison is a foot taller.)

8 comments:

  1. Interesting that these are considered the most difficult.

    Thanksfor dropping by and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what? I knew these! I would feel smart, but since I am pushing 50 years old, I guess I really SHOULD know a little more than high school kids! That was fun; thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness. I could probably take any SAT book and find a year's worth of WWW blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Is there a salient difference between vituperate and upbraid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should be able to remember (and pronounce) upbraid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Jake- Glad you stopped by.

      Libby, Tea- You're welcome!

      Satia- You're right.

      Sim- good point.

      Bermudaonion- I think so.

      Delete
  7. I know all these words now, but I don't think I wouldn't have in high school either.

    ReplyDelete