Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wonderous Words Wednesday



strata

n. pl. of stratum

1. A horizontal layer of material, especially one of several parallel layers arranged one on top of another.
2. Geology: A bed or layer of sedimentary rock having approximately the same composition throughout.
3. Any of the regions of the atmosphere, such as the troposphere, that occur as layers.
4. Biology: A layer of tissue: the epithelial stratum.
5. A level of society composed of people with similar social, cultural, or economic status.
6. One of a number of layers, levels, or divisions in an organized system: a complex poem with many strata of meaning.

From the book Swift as Desire (page 10) by Laura Esquivel.

The sentence is: "The billowing columns of mysterious, heavily scented smoke continuously rise up into the air in spirals, and I can't stop thinking that they are forming an umbilical cord that will connect my father with the celestial strata to take him back to the place from which he came.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely image in the sentence. I'm familiar with the word, but wouldn't have had the details to fully understand the image without the definitions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful quote. I'm always amazed what can happen when someone puts words together well. I knew this word (high school kid in science) but just a lovely sentence. I'm adding this book to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful word. I like the way the author used it in this sentence. So descriptive. I never thought about the variety of definitions for strata. One that isn't there is a dish I make called Eggs Strata. It's a layered casserole so I see now why it has that name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy Weese Moll- Glad you stopped by.

    Martha- Great idea adding the book to your list.

    Margot- Love the Eggs Strata.

    ReplyDelete