Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves

1. Having to return a library book within 2 weeks when someone else is next on the wait list for it.
2. Books that are 900 pages long that could have been written in 300-400 pages.
3. Books that copy off the success of other books.
4. Books that are hyped just because of who the author is and not necessarily because they are good books.
5. Books in a series where you have to wait years for the next installment.
6. Books that have two many insignificant characters that you can't keep track of all of their names and where they fit in.
7. Books that aren't a satisfying read and you feel like you've wasted your time reading them.
8. Unexplainable book twists that leave you scratching your head, wondering where in the heck that came from.
9. Authors who try to write in a self-important manner by spending three paragraphs describing the sky - get to the point!
10. Books that take 100 pages before they actually get going.

14 comments:

  1. Oh I forgot about #1, I hate having people request the book I'm reading, then I feel rushed to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate when #7 happens ... its happened twice in my book club ... but thats when you find out what books not to recommend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I can't agree more, especially #2,4,and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all you said :)
    You can check mine at Bookish

    I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard #9 described as "purple prose"..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! In agreement with number one and well everything else :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree- pretentious authors suck. And, I hate those jumping the shark moments. Right... Like we believe that could actually happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree, especially with numbers 5 and 10. Very nice list, and thanks for visiting! :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. I haven't seen many of the things you listed mentioned yet. I agree with your entire list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your list of pet peeves. I have a some more.

    Come see those: Top Ten Picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Booknympho- me too!

    Kayla- Thanks!

    Ev- You're so right

    Selena, Evie, Vy- thanks! for stopping by

    Susanne- Glad you liked it.

    Ashley-, DJL, Alexis, -Thanks, for commenting.

    Gautami Tripathy- Thanks! for blogging.

    Smellincoffee- thanks! for sharing this.
    Susanne- Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Yes, #2 - Why are there are so many books like this? I read The Passage recently and, wow, it was a good 300 pages too long. I am firmly of the belief that Less is More.

    ReplyDelete