Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - Swift as Desire

Here is my teaser from Swift as Desire by Laura Esquivel (Pages 14-15):

The relationship between dona Jesusa and dona Itzel was far from good until after Jubilo was born. Because of race. Dona Itzel was one hundred percent Mayan Indian and she disapproved of the mixing of her race's blood with dona Jesusa's Spanish blood. For many years, she had avoided visiting her son's home. Her grandchildren grew up without her being very involved in their lives. Her rejection of her daughter-in-law was so great that for years she refused to speak to her, arguing that she couldn't speak Spanish. So dona Jesusa was forced to learn Mayan in order to be able to speak with her mother-in-law. But she found it very difficult to learn a new language while raising twelve children, so communication between the two was sparse and of poor quality.

14 comments:

  1. Talk about a HORRID mother-in-law! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it could be a sad book. Hope you are enjoying it. :)

    Here is mine:
    http://emmagayle.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-teaser-teaser-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! How sad is that! Great teaser! My teaser is up at Coffee Table Press

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good teaser. I will check it out. Looking at all those teassers only makes my tbr pile longer! So many books, so less time to read, so less space to keep!

    Here is my Teaser Tuesday: Out At Night by Susan Arnout Smith post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad she's not like my m-i-l.

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your blog!

    Here's my teaser!
    http://www.violethourbr.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday_20.html

    Have a great week! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....which is why I hate ethnic pride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the teaser intriguing enough to add the book to my TBR list.

    Here is mine:http://sooozsaysstuff.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-march-1st-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The M.I.L. from H3LL! Of course she doesn't have time to learn anything new. With 12 children, she's in survival mode.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you are enjoying your book. Here is my Teaser For Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great book. Have fun.
    And thanks for stopping by mine =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twelve children, really? Interesting teaser.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    кєяo's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie- yes, she does sound pretty bad.

    Gia, Lori, Aimee, smellincoffee,gautami tripathy-thanks! for commenting.

    Fredamus- that's good.

    Lindsay- Oh! thank you.

    Sooz- that's great.

    Georgia girls- you're right.

    Playing librarian, Kero- You too!

    Novroz-you're right, wow

    ReplyDelete