Thursday, March 17, 2011

Booking Through Thursday



The news has been horrifying and addictive this week, with catastrophe piled on catastrophe, to a degree that–if I had read this in a book or seen it in a movie–I’d be protesting that it was just too unlikely, too farfetched.

But, topics for novels get ripped from the headlines all the time. Or real-life events remind you of fiction (whether “believable” or not) that you’ve read but never expected to see. Or real life comes up with an event so unbelievable that it stretches you sense of reality.

Hmm … I can’t quite come up with an outright question to ask, but thinking about the theory of fiction and how it can affect and be affected by real world events can act as a buffer between the horrific events on the news and having to actually face that horror. So … what happens when the line between fiction and reality becomes all-too slim? Discuss!

***

I felt the same way on 9-11 when the towers collapsed. You couldn't mentally process what you were seeing - it looked like a scene out of a movie that came to life.

That's why I like my reading material to be light - an escape from reality. To step into another world and leave this troubled one behind - even if it's only for a few moments.



9 comments:

  1. Sometimes I read to escape, but at other times, I choose the very gritty reality to help me face my fears and anxieties.

    Here's MY BTT2 POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to read difficult books.


    Here is my BTT: Headlines post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is all a personal preference. My answer is here; http://bookskidsanimalsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading my answer. I think the books that I find most helpful are the ones that take both despair and hope into account. Not necessarily "light" but not an exact copy of real headline news either (because for that, we already have the headline news).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, i use reading to escape, it never used to be, i used to hate reading i used to find every excuse not to do it, now i find every excuse to read.

    great post, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use reading as both entertainment and enlightenment, and quite often I get both from the same book.

    I like that different people have so many different takes on this question. It has made for some interesting reading after I posted my own answer:
    http://mostraum.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/booking-through-thursday-headlines/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read to escape, as well...and sometimes I read because my life has gotten boring! lol

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my BTT post earlier! I appreciate it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I avoid tragic stories when I could. They're just so sad.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creations by Laurel- Rain Snow-Reality is hard to escape at times.

    Gautami Tripathy- thanks! for coming by.

    Lisa- You are right.

    Dawn Treader- Thanks! for stopping and reading mine.

    Book Mystress- books are an escape for awhile.

    Mostraum- Yes , they were all interesting to me also.

    Lindsay- you're welcome, thanks for commenting.

    Ayanami Faeudo- Right now, there is too much sadness out there.

    ReplyDelete